Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Searchers


                What really stands out to me in “The Searchers” is the mise-en-scene. Our textbook defines mise-en-scene as the “elements of a movie scene that are put in position before the filming actually begins and employed in certain ways once it does begin” (p. 64). In the era that “The Searchers” was made, location shooting was a common practice in mainstream filmmaking (p. 66). According to IMDB, the film was shot in various desert locations in Colorado, Arizona, and Utah. Shots for the film were also taken on a set, or studio soundstage. The use of both expansive locations and the soundstage for scenes create a noticeable and distracting inconsistency of scenic realism throughout the film.

                I absolutely loved the scenes where the men on horseback rode through the desert surrounded by sandstone buttes. These scenes usually represent a transition of the characters from one location to another during their trek. I especially liked the placement of the actors in relation to natural formations and buildings during these scenes. For example, one scene has the men on horseback riding by in the foreground. In the midground is a cabin, and deep in the background is a beautiful, mountainous region. These vast, natural scenes caused me to pay careful attention to the sets and settings throughout the film. 

                That’s why I was taken by surprise when a new scene began that was obviously shot on a soundstage. This was the only scene where snow was falling. Ethan and Martin are having a conversation atop their horses in the middle of a snowy, wooded area. The audience watches this conversation through some tree branches. I thought this to be a neat effect, but later recognized that it may have been done to grab the audience’s focus so that their eyes won’t wonder off into the background. As the scene switched from a medium shot to a long shot, I then noticed how artificial the trees looked and how the background appeared painted. I know the set shouldn’t have been my main focus, but after gazing at the beautiful sceneries earlier in the film I couldn’t help but notice that the set was lackluster in comparison. In fact, it occupied my thoughts so much that I had to rewind the film to watch the scene again to key in to what Ethan and Martin were saying. 

                I find some of the indoor scenes to look a bit odd as well. It usually has to do with the lighting, which effects mise-en-scene. In one scene, the open door revealed a conspicuously red sky that shone brightly throughout the house. In a majority of the indoor scenes, the key light was very bright and shone from the direction of the camera. There didn’t appear to be much fill lighting to help balance the key light. This produced an effect that I would expect to see while watching a live stage performance. Each character was so brightly lit that their faces were nearly shining. 

                The desert scenes in this film look great. The only problem that I have is that they look so much better than the scenes shot in studio. It is an obvious inconsistency that continuously grabs my attention and takes my focus away from the story. It’s not that movies should be judged on how realistic they are, it’s that "The Searchers" contains so many scenes shot in beautiful locations that the scenes shot in studio look a bit awkward and unfitting in comparison. 

2 comments:

  1. Your discussion about the mise-en-scene is an interesting one. For the most part, I like most of the scenery used in The Searchers. However, because it is an old movie, I went into it expecting it to have some ugly scenery here and there. It was not until you mentioned the inconsistencies between shots that I actually noticed it. I went back and re-watched the winter portions of the film just to get an understanding what you are talking about. At first, I was not able to tell whether or not some of the scenes were in a sound stage or outdoors. Then, I realized that in the scenes you’re mentioning, it is snowing, but we cannot see the actors’ breath when they are talking. The scenes that were clearly shot outdoors during the winter, we can see their breath.
    To the defense of John Ford and the makers of the film, I have to point out how difficult and impractical it would be to wait until winter and snowfall just to shoot certain dialogue scenes that could otherwise be shot (or re-shot) in a studio. Although I now notice and agree with what you’re saying about the natural vs. sound stage scenes being clearly different, I also understand the necessity of it. I am sure they would have shot all the scenes naturally if it were practical to do so. Good job pointing out the differences in the scenes. I learned something new today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I watched this movie with the expectation that the quality of the filming and the set would both be subpar. I have watched quite a few westerns and very few ever have a quality set that is used consistently throughout the film. So naturally, I feel there is very little room to judge a western based on the realism of the set. I actually did not even notice that some portions of the film were noticeably completed on a soundstage. I suppose I am so used to watching westerns, that it is something that never really gets my attention. This whole idea reminds me of when I watched the remake of True Grit. Compared to the original version, it is almost laughable how far film has come in regards to the set. I think the less than beautifully done scenery sort of adds to the charm of a good old western film.

    I completely agree with you that the scenes shot in the desert with the huge formations surrounding the characters are a great natural addition to the setting. They do a really good job of framing the actors in their setting and showcasing how vast the desert is. The vastness of the scenery creates an adventurous mood for the rest of the film and upcoming events. Oddly enough, I didn’t realize that most of the movie was filmed in Colorado, Arizona, or Utah. I would have guessed either California or New Mexico, although Arizona does make sense.

    ReplyDelete